Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ur of the Chaldeans

As I prepare to embark on a new chapter in life, I have been thinking about what it means to truly leave "the home of your family."  What I am doing is not a simple move across town.  It is not a move across the province, country, or even continent.  I am leaving to live half-way around the world.  I am leaving the "comforts" of North America, to live in the "comforts" of Africa.

I was recently listening to a message from a pastor in the U.S.  In his message he spoke about Abram (who eventually became Abraham), and how his call from God to leave his home, and family, was something completely earth shattering to Abram.  The start of Abram's story can be found in Genesis chaper 12.  The culture that Abram lived in was completely different than the life he would choose to live in when God called him.  Abram was living in a major city.  There was industry, and education.  People had places to worship to go to.  It is believed that Abram's father was an idol carver, and that Abram was his father's salesman.  The main god that was worshipped in Ur (Abram's home) was Nannar, the moon god, and the moon goddess, Ningar (you can find all of this out by doing a search on Google.  Try "ur of the chaldeans," "call of abram," etc...).

Abram leaving the home of his family was not just as easy as "pack up and go."  I think that we as English speaking North Americans miss the impact that this would have on Abram, and his family, and his community.  This was a call by a personal God to leave the history and tradition of impersonal gods.  This was a call for Abram to turn his back on all that he knew and understood, and go to a land he knew nothing about.

I am leaving a land of opportunity and wealth to live in a land that is considered impoverished.  I am leaving a country I know for a country that I don't know.  I am unsure as to what life in Kenya holds for me.  The gods that I am leaving here in Canada could be considered, by some, to be money, cars, houses, property, job, income, big screen televisions.  The list could go on.  I am going with the hopes of showing people in Kenya, that they matter.  I want them to see that the choices they make have an impact on their future, and the future of those around them.  I want them to know that they are loved, and that they have love to give.

Lofty goals?  Maybe.  Am I dreaming?  Maybe.  I have to step out in faith.  I have to believe that it is possible to make a difference.  No matter how small the change, it can make a huge difference down the road.  For now, I will walk under African skies...

3 comments:

Rainer said...

Sean,

Just wanted to encourage you as you go...

You have no idea how much of a culture shock you will be in for, or how much of a culture shock you will have after you have lived there for a while and come back to Canada for a visit. Nothing will ever be the same again.

That's a good thing!

I know you will be able to help the people there, and you will be able to teach them, and show them God's love. More than that, however, I think they will show Jesus to you.

We went through all of this as we moved to Ukraine. Now, a little more than 3 years later, we are back in Canada - and it's amazing how although things haven't changed much here, nothing is the same.

The hard part will be not to get too frustrated with things (and people) here when you visit...

Keep in touch, we would love to know how everything goes!

homeschoolmom said...

I have never had a culture shock like the one you are going to experience. However, I am sure this will be lifechanging for you and I pray that you will be amazed at how much the Lord can and will do through you.

Magstergee said...

Hey Sean, as you prepare to leave let me share with you a passage that your Grandma Peggy gave to me some years ago...

Isaiah 41:8-16

Even as you leave this place, God's promises will follow you where ever you go.

Don't worry about any changes, God will smooth over the details. All you need is His love. Everything else dosn't matter. You have prepared as best as you can. He will look after the rest.

May the Lord bless you and keep you, May His face shine upon you and give you peace.

Magid